Monday, October 24, 2005

Training Games -1

1. The I's Have It !
Objectives:
To illustrate how we tend to be more self-centered than we may have
thought, and to demonstrate the importance of focusing on the other
person.
Procedure:
After a discussion on inter-personal skills or any aspect of
communication, casually mention that many of us forget about focusing on
others and instead become somewhat self-centered, albeit not in a conscious
way. With this in mind, ask the participants to find a partner and for the
next 2 minutes, they will be allowed to talk about anything in the world they
want to discuss. There is, however, one rule - THEY CANNOT USE THE
WORD 'I'. They can do anything else they want; they just can't say I. After
2 minutes, call time out & lead the discussion.

Discussion Questions:
• How many of you were able to talk for those 2 minutes without
using the pronoun 'I'?
• Why do so many of us have difficulty avoiding the use of 'I' in
conversation?
• How do you feel when talking to (listening to) someone who starts
every sentence with I?
• How can we phrase our communications to better focus on the
other person?
• If you did not use the word 'I', what strategies did you use to
avoid it? Could you do those things more often in your work (or
social) environment?
Materials: -
Time: 3-5 minutes

2. Does a Straight beat a Flush?
Objectives:
To stimulate a higher level of member participation in whole group
discussions.
Procedure:
Some groups are reluctant to get involved in open discussions,
specially if they are first time trainees, face a complex or threatening issue,
or don't feel comfortable with the trainer yet. You can break the ice quickly,
and stimulate broader (even competitive) group participation in response to
your questions by simply following this method. Inform the group that they
will have the opportunity to play one hand of poker at the end of each
instruction module (or the end of the day). The person with the best overall
poker hand will win some prize. One card will be given to each person every
time they make a meaningful contribution to the discussion. Liberally reward
participants with randomly drawn cards as they engage in discussion. Clarify
the winning order of poker hands, and identify the best 5 card hand in the
group.
Discussion Questions:
• What Impact did this technique have on your participation?
• Did this aid or interfere with your learning of the course material?
Materials: 2 or more decks of cards (depending on total number of
participants & length of discussion)
Time: 5 minutes (to assess the best hands)

3. Who am I? Who is he/she?
Objectives:
To provide the trainer with a wide variety of information about group
members/ participants, to provide a format for information sharing among
members of an extended seminar, course or work group.
Procedure:
Identify the group members who will spending significant time
together. Send a copy of the form to all prospective participants in advance,
explaining that the information maybe shared with their colleagues. Request
its return by a specified date prior to the begining of the training. If
possible, reproduce complete sets of the completed forms and distribute to
participants prior to their arrival. encourage participants, at the begining of
their time together, to seek out different partners during coffee breaks,
lunches, dinners, etc. to explore common interests and probe interesting
perspectives.
Discussion Questions:
• What did others say that you admired? What comments/ items
attracted your curiosity?
• How did others' answers make you reflect on your own? Have you
subsequently changed any of your perspectives?
Materials: Copies of blank forms; sets of completed forms for each
participant.
Time: -
3
Who am I?
Name: Job Title:
Best thing about my job:
Worst job I ever had:
Most important lesson I've learned:
How my friends describe me:
How I would describe myself:
How I spend my leisure time:
My favorite heroes/ heroines:
If money were no limitation, I'd probably:
The achievement I feel proudest of:Favorite advice I give to others:

No comments:

Why Employers Should Turn Their Focus to Long-Tenure, Loyal Employees

In today's rapidly changing business landscape, where innovation and adaptability are highly prized, it's easy for employers to get ...